RECIPE | Peach & Tomato Tarte Tatin
Peach & Tomato Tarte Tatin
from "AT HOME WITH UMAMI"
Umami-packed tomatoes add a cheeky twist to this classic Tarte Tatin. The tomatoes mix remarkably well with the ripe peaches.
170 g / 3⁄4 cup plus 2 tablespoons caster/ granulated sugar (plus 2 tablespoons extra if needed)
50 g / 3 tablespoons butter
400 g / 14 oz. sweet cherry or baby plum tomatoes, halved
2 peaches, pitted and cut into 9 wedges each
1 small sprig of thyme
freshly ground black pepper
1 sheet puff pastry, rolled out slightly bigger than your pan
sour cream or a half-half mixture of soft goat’s cheese and sour cream, to serve
ovenproof 30-cm / 12-in. Tarte Tatin pan
- Preheat the oven to 200°C (400°F) Gas 6.
- Put the sugar into the tarte tatin pan and place on a medium heat. Allow the sugar to melt, but shake the pan occasionally to prevent it from burning. Once melted, let it bubble until it turns a light amber-brown colour, forming a caramel.
- Immediately take the pan off the heat and add the butter carefully. Stir in until melted.
- Arrange the tomatoes and the peaches into the pan, skin-side down into a pattern. Fit as many tomatoes as you can – you might not need them all. If your peaches are quite sharp, sprinkle over the extra 2 tablespoons of sugar. Lay the thyme over the top of the fruit and season all over with some freshly ground black pepper.
- Cover with the pastry.Tuck in the edges of the pastry into the inside of the pan, including the overhang which will create a delicious crust. Prick a few small holes into the pastry with a fork. Transfer to the preheated oven and bake for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool for about 10 minutes. If there seems to be a lot of excess juice, carefully drain some off before turning the tarte out onto a serving plate. Allow the tarte to cool a little, as this allows the hot caramel to set slightly. Serve warm with sour cream or goat’s cheese and sour cream mix.